Canned Heat has always been a part of the Woodstock legend. Their studio version of “Back to the Country” features prominently in Michael Wadleigh’s documentary; however, the band’s performance didn’t make the original cut of the film.
Fortunately the Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace and Music Director’s Cut fixes that. This set and Rhino’s 6 CD Woodstock: 40 Years On: Back To Yasgur’s Farm are the cornerstones of your official Woodstock collection.
What you’ll get on the Director’s Cut DVD is the legendary moment when a stage crasher is not only welcomed by lead singer Bob Hite, but actually helps himself to a butt from Bob’s pack of smokes. Classic.
Canned Heat still keeps the boogie flowing in one incarnation or another, but unfortunately we lost Bob “The Bear” to a heart attack back in 1981. He was only 38.
Here’s Canned Heat’s set list and where you can find official recordings:
- I’m Her Man (Woodstock: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Collector’s Edition (DVD))
- Going Up The Country (Woodstock: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Collector’s Edition (DVD))
- Too Many Drivers at the Wheel
- I Know My Baby (Youtube)
- Woodstock Boogie (Woodstock: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Collector’s Edition (DVD))
- On the Road Again (Woodstock: The Director’s Cut Ultimate Collector’s Edition (DVD))
Your official Woodstock soundtrack song count to date: 61
<<<Back to The Incredible String Band
Update: On August 2, 2019, Rhino Records released Woodstock – Back to the Garden: The Definitive 50th Anniversary Archive and changed the game forever. With exception to two Hendrix tracks and one Sha Na Na cut, the massive box set contains complete sets from every Woodstock artist—even those long believed lost or never recorded.
Here is Canned Heat‘s set as it appears on the Back to the Garden archive, including announcements, etc.:
1. Chip Monck – “There’s been a little tremor of paranoia”
2. I’M HER MAN
3. GOING UP THE COUNTRY
4. A CHANGE IS GONNA COME/LEAVING THIS TOWN
5. ROLLIN’ BLUES
6. WOODSTOCK BOOGIE
7. Bob Hite & Chip Monck – “Sure, man. Go right ahead.”
8. ON THE ROAD AGAIN
9. Chip Monck – “Welcome yourselves to this experiment”
Categories: Music, record collecting
Harvey Mandel’s third gig with the group.
So many stories like that at Woodstock. We think of those guys as old hands or something, but they were a bunch of kids gigging.
I know this version buy they didn’t play Too Many Drivers at the Wheel. This song is from Carmel,CA 1970 and was edited on THE OWL UNDER THE MOON
& THE BOOGIE HOUSE TAPES . VOL3
Here is really Woodstock set list
1. I’m Her Man
2. Going Up the Country
3. A Change Is Gonna Come/Leaving This Town
4. I Know My Baby
5. Woodstock Boogie
6. On the Road Again